You have a new WordPress server in the cloud and you want to install a plugin. You get an error trying to install it because it only prompts for ftp or sftp username and password. Your server requires keys to connect to your server. Here is a simple workaround for installing plugins manually.
- You can connect to your server remotely using something like WinSCP, Filezilla, or some other secure sFtp connection.
- Search the official WordPress Plugin website and find the plugin you want to install.
- Click the download button on the right and save the zipped plugin file somewhere convenient on your computer.
- Unzip the plugin.
- Using your preferred program WinSCP/Filezilla program, upload the unzipped subfolder (aka plugin folder) to your WordPress site at folder: /wp-content/plugins/(yournewpluginfolder).
- Open up the WordPress Admin Screen to Plugins and click the “activate” link for your new plugin.
That is all it takes, you simply download your plugin locally, unzip it, upload the sub-folder from what was unzipped and then activate/configure it!